donderdag 4 oktober 2012

Weirdest dessert ever

Quick Swedish apple dessert

When I read this in my newspaper, I thought the editor was kidding. Spiced cake in a dessert?! And toasted?! I’ve had weird food but this seemed to beat them all. But since it incorporates caramelized apple I decided to give it a try any way.

For each happy diner you’ll need:
*one apple, I prefer the sweet ones
*10 g of sugar, mixed with 2/3 tsp of powdered cinnamon
*10 g butter
*1 slice of spiced cake (ontbijtkoek)
*1 scoop of vanilla ice cream

Peel and core the apple, slice in four parts. Melt the butter in the pan over high heat, add the apples and then sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples. The fun part is rolling around the apples in the butter so they get a nice glaze. Caramelize them in about ten minutes. Meanwhile, toast the spiced cake. Put a scoop of ice cream on the toast, and then add the apples. Here’s the trick: use the left-over butter and sugar to poor over the ice-cream, cake and apples. Delicious! It’s the weirdest dessert I ever had but for sure one of the tastiest I ever made.

Variation tip: adding maple syrup at any stage of the process wouldn't kill it... 




1 opmerking:

  1. Quite weird, yes, but strangely appealing all the same. I may give it a try sometime soon.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen